Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Things Spring to Life only in Spurts

(A Reflection on the Movie “Luther”)

When you knew a person very well, you could probably give remarks about him and even sometimes more data about his life. But sometimes our biases rule over us and they lead us to give subjective comments and impressions. I hope I will not end up telling my own while giving my insights on the film “Luther”. Of course for the Lutherans and other protestant brothers it is such a remarkable movie which I think are the probable and primary audience of the movie. And for me it is a strong inspirational movie that roused my spirit to reflect on some horizons and possibilities that may be confidently helpful on my part. But I’m a bit sorry that we have lost a great person like Martin Luther in the Catholic Church!

What do I know about Martin Luther? Martin Luther was the moral force of the Reformation, the priest who defied Rome, nailed his 95 Theses to the castle door and essentially founded the Protestant movement. These were also highlighted in the movie, but my attention caught unreservedly with that Luther as a young monk driven by personal demons, strong religious conviction and deep sense of outrage over injustices and corruption of the Church at that time, very compassionate and with deep concern with the peasants, the poor and the oppressed. I thought he was ruthless rebel, an intellectual heretic and appalling ex- communicated Augustinian priest. But I find him as an inspiring figure, filled with the power of his convictions.

I may now say that “things springs to life only in spurts”. To this movie, new realizations sprung in my thought. In many things and knowledge we have learned before we have to un-learn something so that we can able to accept the invitation of new realization. Some of our knowledge or even bias opinions should be set aside so that we can able to see the light of new opinions and ideas. Like the life of Luther, who had been confined on the trends of that time and in a spurt had decidedly come up with his own reforms. He is a man who is not out to change the world, but to reform the church. And he achieved that goal with that promise. Perhaps we should imitate him in that conviction, to fight for the truth against the errors of our time, to stand firm and know the truth. Thus, fighting and pursuing the truth is the best road toward confidence and freedom. In that way that I admire Luther’s effort in revealing the truth of the injustices of his time which gave way to his personal (and even communal) freedom from those errors. The movie has a powerful message that may capture the hearts of many especially on the truths that there were really existing errors not only within the Church but within our social, political and economic environment that need for change and reform; more so, the movie was beautifully crafted and produced that I was deeply drawn to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment